June 2, 2020
The Hypocrisy Of The Conversion Therapy Narrative
Ask A Conversion Therapy Survivor episode 3 of 5
Join Sheena and her guests Rae D Magdon and Elena Joy as they talk about the conflicting messages that come out of conversion therapy in this episode of Ask A Conversion Therapy Survivor
In this episode
- The hypocrisy we experienced in conversion therapy - on one hand homosexuality is wrong and should be fixed, on the other hand it’s a hardship that God gave you to help you be a better person.
- Who the church expects to overcome all these hardships.
- The “support group” in the LDS church that hosts cuddle parties in an attempt to help gay men live a straight life and what really happens.
- Sexual attraction fairness
- The BYU honour code and their backpedaling on being homosexual
- How the dominoes fall when you start to question the beliefs of the church
- The concept of “hate the sin love the sinner”
- Elena and Rae talk about where they found groups they are part of that helps them
Research from The Trevor Project
Where to go for help
UK contact Stonewall’s Information Service on 08000 502020 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
About The Guests
Elena is an inspirational speaker and founder of the PRIDE and Joy Foundation. She grew up in a turbulent home, joined a conservative church as a teenager, put herself through college, married and birthed 4 beautiful children, and then....
Life 2.0 brought a divorce, leaving/getting kicked out of her church, a beautiful love story and a successful new career! Her viral TEDx talk has paved the way for speaking engagements around the country. Audiences have included ABC, CBS and Fox news stations, the First Event in Boston, the Seacoast Wellness Series in New Hampshire, the THRIVE conference in Utah, as well as multiple print and online media stories, and podcasts.
Find Elena Online
Rae D Magdon
Rae is an author of queer speculative fiction with over 10 published novels. She believes that lesbian, bi, queer, and trans women deserve to have adventures, fall in love, and become heroes. Her latest cyberpunk novel, Lucky 7, won the 2019 Goldie and Rainbow Awards for science fiction.
Find Rae Online
Sheena comes from a media background and in 2014 she started The Lesbian Review, a website dedicated to reviewing the best lesbian books and movies. In 2016 A podcast channel seemed like a natural progression and so she started The Lesbian Talk Show.
Sheena discovered lesbian fiction in her late teens and it helped her with her coming out process, something for which she will always be grateful.
If you love what we do, consider becoming a Patron - you get exclusive content and you help us grow